Check out this amazing garage transformation.
The garage is one of those spaces that could be amazing or a dread to even go into. Organizational Logistics has worked on many garages and this was one of our favorite, just wait for the before and after photos. This family used their two-car garage for extra storage, along with parking their cars. The family was at a point where they hated opening the garage, instead they had a vision of a calm and inviting space. Before we got started on the decluttering process, we looked at many mudroom photos to get a vision for their perfect garage. They decided on something simple with clean lines, lots of negative space and practical.
They wanted to turn this chaotic space into a relaxed and tranquil mudroom inspired garage.
Garages can be a large and daunting but with a strategy - it can be done.
Here's the process we used for this garage transformation:
1. Set a date. After assessing what all was in the garage, we decided this job would take one day. But if a garage is really unorganized or large, carve out multiple dates in your calendar, go ahead and update your phone calendar too.
2. Make it fun. This family decided that tackling this job was too much and called in Organizational Logistics. When taking on a large project make sure you have friends, family and/or professional help, it'll be more fun than you think.
3. Make designated piles. Toss, recycle, donate, keep and for sale. Make these piles outside of the garage, even labeling them makes the process easier for all involved.
4. Discard. Make sure everything unwanted goes into the toss, recycle, donate or sale pile. When going through items ask yourself: when was the last time I used this, is this out of date, do I still enjoy this hobby, is it broken or worn down by the elements?
5. Categories. When going through you keep items separate them into categories: season, sport, yard equipment, clean supplies, shoes etc.
6. Pick your layout. Once you know how many items you have of different categories, you can now choose what storage solutions are best for your garage.
7. Install storage systems. Now that every items are discarded, categorized and layout is complete you can now install the systems and put items into their new home.
Pro Tip: Take before and after photos. The feeling of looking at a before project and standing in that space after it's complete is a marvelous feeling.
Now here is the after photo of the garage and the transformation blew the family away. You'll notice that the garage is now less cluttered, more open, has a sense of styled calm appearance and of course organized. Every box in the storage system has it's own category and only items of that category will go in that box. This keeps finding those car towels, bug spray, tools and tire pump easy.
I would love to hear your garage overhaul story and hope this post was helpful + inspirational for anyone needing a little push on their garage project.